+ Reply to Thread

Threaded View

RCJB's initiative & District 3310's Signature Project - Children's Home Project in JB

Here's a summary and update for the Children's Home Project "ANG TIONG LOI-ROTARY CHILDREN'S HOME"

1) the project was mooted at the last joint PE & Presidents gathering for Group 3 & 4 in May 2013 when IPDG Kong Hwee and DG Ghim Bok was present. The Group was challenged to think about a significant service project which can involved more RCs. I told those who attended that I am happy to initiate a Children's Home and Young Inventors' Award (similar to what SINDEX is in Sabah) during my term of office as President 2013-2014) as RCJB's signature project and see how many will have the faith to participate and make it a District Project.

2) A preliminary presentation was made to my incoming Board and this Children's Home Project. I had secured a piece of freehold land of 5,071 sq ft from Tasek Maju Group worth RM300,000. As part of their Corporate Social Responsibilities (CSR) endeavour, their have committed to get their professionals (architects, engineers, lawyers, etc) to provide the relevant services on a pro-bono basis. In addition they will undertake to do all planning, submission till approval of the building to be handed over to a Trustee.

Budget :
    Construction cost RM500,000

One year operating expenditure RM100,000
    of the Children's Home for
    24 children ages 12 and below

Total RM600,000

Funded by :

RCJB, District 3310 & community RM300,000
    through donations

Charity Gala Dinner (15/11/2013) RM200,000

Charity Golf Tournament (Feb 2014) RM100,000

Total expected to be raised RM600,000

3) After a few phone calls/smses, in June 2013 I was very encouraged to received pledges from my Rotarian and friends amounting to almost RM100,000.This signature project (Children's Home) was highlighted in my Presidential Message at our RCJB's 62nd Installation dinner on 22 June 2013 where the Royal Family of Johor, the Sultan & his Consort were Guests of Honour. Towards the end of my message, the DYMM Raja Zarith Sofiah, on the encouragement of her husband, was moved to pledge RM100,000 which drew the applause of the 350 attendees of Rotarians and friends present, thus bringing total funds pledged to almost RM200,000. Todate we have collected or received pledges totalling RM280,000. I am confident more will come forth with donations in support of this worth project.

4) The 4 main partners to this significant project initiated by RCJB are as follows :

i) RCJB & participating Clubs in District 3310 (Project initiator & fund raising)

ii) Tasek Maju Group (Donor of land, oversees construction & fund raising)

iii) Cross Community Berhad (Trustee)

iv) Persatuan Kebajikan Kasih Segamat (Operator of children's home)

5) Tasek Maju Group, as part of their CSR programme, will be the Organiser of the Charity Gala Dinner through a subcommittee comprising representative from the 4 main partners and including LITZ Jewellery (a company owned by a Past President from the RC Puteri Lagoon, who will be responsible to organise an auction) on 15 November 2013 at Grand Straits Garden. In principle, the Sultanah Raja Zarith Sofiah has consented to grace the occasion as the Guest of Honour. Many interesting perfomances are being arranged including a 30 minutes set by stand up comedian Hossan Leong.

80 tables planned with most of the tables to be sold for RM2,000 each, including a few front tables to be sold between RM3,000 to RM10,000 (major donors will have their names in the Souvenir Programme and also recognition with their names on a plaque to be displayed in the Home. All proceeds will go towards the construction of the Home as the costs will be sponsored by the Tasek Maju Group or its CEO.

RCJB and Clubs in the District will play a key role to help sell up to 30 of such tables.

6) Todate, 8 Rotary clubs and DG & IPDG are 'partners' to this project contributing funds ranging from RM1,000 to RM15,000 each. The Rotary clubs are RC Kulai, RC Sentosa, RC Kluang, RC Puteri Lagoon, RC Pontian, RC Bandar Seri Begawan, RC Changi & RC E-Club (Vicky Soo).

Hope this will give you sufficient info to share at the joint Presidents meeting tomorrow evening. President Vicky did invite me to attend but unfortunately I have my own RCJB regular meeting at the same time.

PP Patel, I am confident that raising the RM500,000 (and the RM100,000 to cover one year of operating costs) is a done deal. And this would be a first phase of my vision - to Engage Rotary (rotarians and Clubs in our District) to change the lives of the under privileged children who will come to this home. This I hope will be a model that other Rotary Clubs can emulate. This project has the blessings of my PE and VP and the funding commitment ends in my Rotary year, thus not burdening future presidents.

Phase 2 brings about a continuity (and sustainability) where I challenge Rotarians in my club and other rotary clubs to consider investing in the life of just ONE of these children, be a foster parent to see them through their education (even when they leave this Children's home). And with the broad vocations that Rotary can offer, what is there to stop a fellow rotarian take one of these children after they have completed schools/colleges/universities under their mentoring/coaching as a staff member of their firm/company. Moving forward, perhaps some of these children will someday be a Rotarian, one far better than ourselves! This is my longer term vision!

Thanks for your interest and for taking it as your PR project to give ROTARY the publicity and image it needs.

Blessings .... ENGAGE ROTARY, CHANGE LIVES.

President Tan Chee Seng
    2013-2014
    ROTARY CLUB OF JOHOR BAHRU
    mobile +6012 2022217
    C S TAN & ASSOCIATES
    Wisma TCS, No 8M Jalan Tun Abdul Razak,
    Susur 3, 80200 Johor Bahru, Johor Darul Takzim, MALAYSIA
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bschew; 09-18-2013 at 12:58 PM.

Tasek Maju - RCJB Joint Project - Children Orphanage

RCJB Project.jpg

Rotary E-Club of 3310 will take up a VIP table at the Gala Charity Dinner with a contribution of RM5K. The special entertainer for the evening is Mr Hossan Leong from Singapore!

We have 8 VIP seats (2 taken by PP MM Patel & Lily). Please let President Vicky know if you are able to attend on Friday, 15 November 2103 (Free-of-charge).